Automatically translated from Basque, translation may contain errors. More information here. Elhuyarren itzultzaile automatikoaren logoa

"I hope my son's death will help solve the problems of the public health system at Laudio"

  • Fabian Hernandez is the father of David Hernandez, a 42-year-old man who died on Friday at Llodio's outpatient clinic, who talked about what happened and the complaint they are going to put.

17 January 2024 - 07:34

First, how are you?

Dolido, quite painful for the whole family. We did not expect it, neither we nor anyone, as the people have shown. We will always be grateful for the response of the people. We hope that this will not happen again, the Administration must do so in order not to repeat something.

The need to reach this type of event in a population of 18,000 to get people out on the streets and the administration intervene at once...

Doctors and nurses are professionals without any fault. We cannot blame doctors and nurses, they are not to blame, it is the responsibility of the administration because it has not put the means.

I don't know whether or not David's death could be prevented. Maybe the heart attack had no solution, but the problem is what the administration has done so far. Why were there two nurses and not one doctor? Why isn't there a doctor in Amurrio, Ayala, Llodio, Orozko...?

An outpatient clinic should always be at least a doctor to cope with emergencies. That should be the case, but the administration does nothing. Neither here nor in Salamanca. We've lived there since we retire and it's almost the same thing.

It makes the public health system worse. I was coming to the clinic in the 1980s or 1990s, and there were doctors. I was two or three in the evening, there was a doctor, even if there was no room to defend your life. However, the doctor already existed and he decided whether or not he was sent to the hospital.

"We cannot blame doctors and nurses, they are not to blame, it is the responsibility of the Administration because it has not put the means"

 

And David's has not been isolated, there have been thousands of cases. Now that this has happened to us, a lot of people come to tell us what happened to us. Always the same, that is only what we remember when serious cases occur.

I hope my son's death will solve this.

What are you going to do?

At the moment I think we have to move what happened. We await the autopsy, but the autopsy itself has nothing to do with it. David must be denounced for what happened, but not for doctors and nurses. They are professionals. The administration is the municipality of 18,000 inhabitants. This cannot be accepted and someone must respond.

What exactly was it?

We know firsthand what happened. By chance, a friend went through the clinic and saw David. He asked him how he was and he responded that he had breathing problems. This friend told him he was going to help and he put him in the emergency room and, in a joke, he sat him in the wheelchair, who were always joking.

He asked David if he wanted his family to be called, and my son said no. His friend was waiting and two nurses welcomed David and put him in. There they were studying and suddenly a nurse was running out saying that there was a need to call an ambulance medicalized by the infarction.

Her friend went crazy and the nurses asked her for help moving around. He helped them to feel good and started resuscitation. Then this boy called his family and they told us to come from Salamanca because it was serious.

They spent a lot of time with resuscitation maneuvers, but they got nothing. It was probably a terrible heart and there was no way to do anything. You can't blame the health teams.

Another thing is that there are no doctors. A doctor could tell us there was nothing to do. We would be at least reassured, but this has not been the case and the responsibility has not been with the nurses.

The Administration gives nurses amazing jobs. Huge workloads. In case they are family members, nurses and depressive patients should take them. It is not possible for a nurse to have great responsibilities, for example, transporting body parts from one place to another for a transplant. It's not their job, they're not allowed to do their job.

And doctors the same. There must be doctors who explain what has happened.

When everything ended, David's friend called us, and when we came back from Salamanca, we assumed what happened. It's a three-and-a-half hour journey, and nobody called us or wrote. We looked and thought something was serious.

We entered Llodio and at 01:10 we saw a lot of people on the portal. Her daughter's friends, her friends ... I didn't get out of the car. I imagined it.

Having said that, my sincere thanks to the people of Laudio, who have behaved very well.


You are interested in the channel: Osakidetza
Osakidetza launches Primary Care Services for Trans People
The aim is to update the healthcare protocol for trans people in the Basque Country.It will be based on a network formed by the Primary Care Team (LMAT), the new Primary Care Service for trans people (tLMAZ) and professionals from the Gender Identity Unit (UTI) at the University... [+]

Data contradictions in Osakidetza: waiting lists down, citizens’ complaints up?
The Government has ensured that the waiting lists have been reduced to less than two months in the last quarter. The Ombudsman of the Basque Country, Manu Lezertua, highlighted another fact in his annual report on citizen complaints: Osakidetza’s complaints have increased by... [+]

Bidasoako haur eta gazteen psikiatriako kontsultaren itxierak haserrea piztu du

Pazienteek Donostiara joan behar dute arreta jasotzeko. Osasun Bidasoa plataforma herritarrak salatu du itxierak “are gehiago hondatuko” duela eskualdeko osasun publikoa.


Gurutzetako Ospitaleko Larrialdiak “kolapsoaren ertzean” daudela salatu du ESK sindikatuak

Barakaldoko ospitaleko larrialdi zerbitzuan sufritzen ari diren "saturazioa larria" dela ohartarazi du sindikatuak. Pazienteak korridoreetan artatu dituztela eta krisia kudeatzeko "behar adina langile" ez dagoela salatu du. Errealitate horren aurrean... [+]


EAEko Osasun Saila mediku euskaldun bila

Alberto Martinez Eusko Jaurlaritzako Osasun sailburuak argi dio: ez ditu mediku euskaldunak aurkitzen, eta euskarazko osasun arreta ezin da bermatu mediku egoiliar (formazioan dauden espezialista) gehienak kanpotarrak direlako. Mediku euskaldunak bilatzea perretxikotan joatea... [+]


Trebiñu Araban sartzeko “aurrerapausorik” ez dela eman salatu dute enklabeko zinegotziek

Bizilagunek "egia eta politika" merezi dutela adierazi dute, oraindik konponbiderik bilatu ez zaizkien arazo ugari edukitzen jarraitzen baitute. Ikasketei eta osasun arretari loturiko arazoak nabarmendu dituzte.


2025-02-12 | Jone Gartzia
The Table of Health born in Hankamotz arrives limp to the final phase
The Basque Health Pact Board, set up by the Basque Government, will be just over five months old, and the end of the debate process they wanted completed by March is moving away from meeting to meeting. The established methodology, the list of institutions called to the table,... [+]

Osakidetza calls for real and structural solutions in Vitoria-Gasteiz, Bilbao and San Sebastian
Thousands of people took to the streets on Saturday to demand "real solutions" from the Basque Government and the Department of Health to solve the structural problems of Osakidetza.

2025-01-30 | Leire Ibar
Call to fill the streets for public health in Bilbao, Vitoria-Gasteiz and San Sebastian on February 1
The Popular Platform for Public Health (OPA) has called for demonstrations on February 1. They call for mobilisation to combat the privatisation of health, to strengthen primary care, to improve conditions for health workers, to combat precariousness and to advocate for both... [+]

2025-01-19 | Urtzi Ugalde
Goodbye, mom

These were my last words when we left, held hand in your deep breathing sleep. Your heart stayed forever without a special, simple, dignified pain. As you want and demand. How we want and respect.

Already a month before the arrival of winter, the last days of the longest night,... [+]


2025-01-16 | Leire Ibar
Former director of Osakidetza Mikel Sánchez quotes with Mutualia
Sánchez, who between 2019 and 2024 was director of Health Planning, Management and Evaluation, started in November as medical director of the company Mutualia. In the summer of 2024 he took the leap to private enterprise, three months after leaving office, with the... [+]

2024-12-27 | Gedar
Osakidetza cuts 110 health centers at Christmas
In the past Christmas, waiting periods of up to twelve hours were recorded, which have been extended to zero hours. Osakidetza applies such restrictions within 180 days a year.

2024-12-12 | Leire Ibar
Judge closes investigation of Osakidetza's opposition leaks without guilt
Judge Blanca Ester Díaz Pulido has completed her investigation into the leaks of Osakidetza's opposition in 2018, after six and a half years of hearings. All defendants have been acquitted in total, a total of 22, even though two of the cases have been provisionally filed.

Claims to Osakidetza grow by 20% over the past year
Complaints and acknowledgements have remained similar, but there is a difference in complaints. For example, compared to the previous month of June this year, claims have increased by almost 30%.

Eguneraketa berriak daude