Automatically translated from Basque, translation may contain errors. More information here. Elhuyarren itzultzaile automatikoaren logoa

Was COVID-19 circulating in Barcelona in March 2019?

  • Researchers from the University of Barcelona have detected remains of SARS-CoV-2 in samples collected in March 2019 in the sewers of Barcelona. If the finding is confirmed, it would mean that the virus had arrived in Catalonia a year before the declaration of the pandemic and would call into question the thesis that it all started at the Wuhan trade fair.
Estoldetako uren laginak hartzen. (Argazkia: Monica Torres)

30 June 2020 - 15:01

According to La Vanguardia and other media reports, researchers at the University of Barcelona (UB) have found the remains of the virus SARS-CoV-2 in samples collected in the sewers of Barcelona on March 12, 2019. Surprisingly, knowing that the pandemic was declared just a year later and that the disease officially started in December 2019 in China, with the theory approved by most experts, moving from wild animals to humans in the market of the city of Wuhan.

The researchers of the UB have taken weekly samples of water from the sewerage system of the Catalan capital, with the certainty that in the bathrooms they would find genomes of viruses and other pathogens in the tanks abandoned by humans. In view of the results of the study, the team coordinator, the professor of microbiology and president of the Spanish Society of Virology, Albert Bosch, undoubtedly believes that the genomes of SARS-CoV-2 have been detected in the samples of March 2019. That would mean that by that time the virus was circulating around the world and doctors confused its symptoms with those of other known illnesses, such as the flu.

“This surprising finding,” Mr Bosch said, shows that the virus was circulating in Barcelona before COVID-19 was confirmed anywhere else in the world. Barcelona is an important business and shopping center, as well as massive events that bring people from all over the world together. Similar situations may have occurred in other parts of the world." It is significant that in March 2019, the Mobile trade fair was held in Barcelona, one of the most important in the world in the field of new technologies.

The value of the research has been immediately questioned by other experts who believe that the UB has drawn excessive conclusions with too small evidence: that they have used techniques of limited reliability, that the genetic content of the samples analysed was very low... Given the lack of an echo that has had since the publication of the study of the UB, these doubts seem to have prevailed. However, the acceptance of the scientific community after the full publication of the study reveals the degree of credibility it has.

The research work of the UB is on the corset of other information that question the thesis that COVID-19 was created at the Wuhan fair in November and December 2019. Several doctors in northern Italy had already practiced in their region the suspicion that the coronavirus had occurred before it officially appeared, because they had found among several patients a very severe and peculiar pneumonia. Later, the head of resuscitation of a hospital in Paris confirmed with evidence that, in France, at least on 27 December, a patient was treated by coronavirus, well before the declaration of the pandemic. And, although less has been mentioned, in the summer of 2019 there were especially virulent and earlier flu in the U.S. state of Maryland than usual, with symptoms similar to COVID-19.

This leads some experts to say that the majority thesis that the COVID-19 pandemic has occurred in China and only in China, it cannot be said with certainty that SARS-CoV-2 has naturally passed in the Wuhan fair to humans, and that it must be analyzed alongside it by the experiments that humans can perform in virus laboratories.


You are interested in the channel: Koronabirusa
Commissions of ten million euros in the operation of the mask that stop Koldo García
According to the Civil Guard, this amount of EUR 10 million would be a sum paid by businessman Victor de Aldama, linked to the transactions made by the Spanish Ministry of Transport during the pandemic. This Thursday leaves García free with the order to appear before the judge.

Have schools returned from taking the classroom out to the street four walls after the pandemic?
"After Pandemic we were told that after-school activities were going to be strengthened much more, in the environment and with the resources available, but this very important commitment in the education of our children is not being fulfilled." It is the part of the letter sent by... [+]

2023-07-04 | Ilargi Manzanares
From Wednesday, the kiss is not mandatory in health centers in the South
The date of publication in the “Official State Gazette” ends the need for kissing, ending the restrictions arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. You will have exceptions such as intensive care units, oncological areas, operating rooms or emergency rooms.

The pharmaceutical industry won 90 billion euros with 19 vaccines funded with public money COVID-19
Companies received public money for research and Northern countries bought vaccines in advance. Meanwhile, multinationals increased vaccine prices. Currently, in the poorest countries, only 23% have total doses, according to the SOMO study.

Since today the mask is not needed in public transport in the South
The Council of Ministers has agreed that the mask should be optional in public transport. But it is recommended for people with symptoms of illness and for vulnerable people. It will remain compulsory in health centres.

The Bilbao Social Court recognises the absolute permanent disability to a worker with permanent COVID-19
The Bilbao Social Court is right for the ELA trade union and acknowledges the absolute permanent incapacity of a cellator of a permanent COVID19 health center.  

2023-01-26 | ARGIA
February 7 in Hego Euskal Herria ends the obligation to wear a scarf in transport
The Minister of Health of the Spanish Government, Carolina Darias, has reported that the Council of Ministers will sign on 7 February the decree of non-mandatory free public transport.

China: Opacity reduction measures Covid-19
China has removed mandatory isolation measures for international travellers and stopped providing daily contamination data. These measures are the result of a policy change, but some experts warn of the impact that the lack of control of the situation may have at international... [+]

2022-12-20 | ARGIA
The Spanish government recognizes that 14 million COVID-19 vaccines have expired
Most of the expired ones are Pfizer, the largest supplier in the European Union.

2022-11-29 | Leire Artola Arin
Protests against Zero COVID-19 policy in China
Thousands of citizens have taken to the streets in major capitals to report the economic and psychological damage caused by the Chinese Government's zero COVID-19 strategy. In demonstrations not seen long ago, protesters show the blank sheet to represent censorship. Since the... [+]

2022-10-14 | Mikel Aramendi
Zero-covid-19, zero scruples
Some have taken with a grain of irritation the series of articles that the official journal Renmin Ribao has published this very week about the zero-covid-19 strategy. The Beijing authorities, the 20th of the Party, have deducted once and for all. That, after the end of... [+]

The mountain has deteriorated, our lives have fallen
Death, drama, work, mourning, pain, anguish. Limits, measures, passions, love and family. Carnival. Zaldibar and pandemic; landfill life. The latest joint work of the theatrical companies Axut and Artedrama is about to be released: Catastrophe. The first action will take place... [+]

2022-09-15 | ARGIA
"The end of the pandemic is in sight," according to the World Health Organization
Entering the "final line", the WHO insists on the need to incorporate risk groups, control new variables and improve health systems.

2022-09-01 | Leire Artola Arin
Students from the continental Basque Country start the course with changes
On September 1, the 2022-2023 course began in Zuberoa, Baja Navarra and Lapurdi, without measures against COVID-19. They have also had more news: In the ikastolas and colleges of Seaska there are a hundred more students, and in Irisarri, Larrain and Barkox will open new classes... [+]

A study confirms that the coronavirus vaccine causes changes in menstruation
The study involved nearly 40,000 people with a regular cycle, of whom 42% of the regular cycle people had more bleeding after the vaccine.

Eguneraketa berriak daude